Monday, March 21, 2011

Bits and Pieces 28

I know I am not writing "Bits and Pieces" on a regular basis, but I bet that will change when I learn of more candidates lining up for the three seats on our City Council becoming available due to term limits.

Can somebody please tell the good folks at The Annenberg Foundation that many of us are sick and tired of their full-page newspaper 'propaganda' advertisements concerning "Discovery Park"!

I have been trying to let folks know that our residents are most certainly smart enough to understand what The Annenberg Foundation wishes to provide to the Lower Pointe Vicente Reservation of Fort MacArthur, and that "WE GET IT ALREADY!"

I have asked the current City Council membership to deal with this project in a timely enough manner so as to not make it a campaign issues by any of those seeking one of the three seats on our City Council up for grabs.

We need candidates who will offer their take on all the issues without any cloud of a giant special interest group like The Annenberg Foundation causing even more discourse during the campaign season.

If folks don't know what they feel they need to know about "Discovery Park" or what their opinions are about what should or should not be included, they have either been asleep at the wheel or they simply do not care enough to learn what they could have or should have learned by now.

I also don't appreciate 'outside' cities and individuals chiming their support for what The Annenberg Foundation is proposing to do in OUR city. If those 'others' support what Annenberg wants to do, have The Annenberg Foundation build what they want to build in THEIR city, not ours.

I have not heard or read much about my; "A Long Bomb" reference to the outcome of Measure C. I am pleased by that but I found Tom's statement about not revisiting the charter city issue for some time to come a bit odd. Well, more that a bit odd, I guess.

I do however, hope that no new charter city issues come up for quite some time and that even us 'lowly' residents have reasonable input into whatever comes back up, hopefully in a few years from now, concerning becoming a charter city.

I still need to be honest and let readers know that I do have a 'litmus test' regarding candidates for City Council seats and their support for approval of on-campus student housing at Marymount College.

As you should know by now, R.P.V. has been home to a wonderful College that has on-campus student housing for years. If folks want a second College having on-campus student housing, then let that College move to a city or area outside of Rancho Palos Verdes.

We may be the largest in size and/or population on The Hill, but that doesn't mean we must accept two Colleges with on-campus student housing, especially when I can offer all kinds of evidence that on-campus student housing at Marymount College is NOT IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE RESIDENTS OF R.P.V..

Oh, by the way of reminder, more than 68% of our registered voters voted on Measure P, The Marymount Plan and that Plan to approve on-campus student housing was defeated by more than ten points.

During these most recent rainstorms, my thoughts and imagination headed over to San Ramon Canyon and what was probably happening to 25Th Street. I know there is another rainstorm fore casted for this Wednesday and the long range forecasts are considering more rain, perhaps on Sunday.

Is it time to put the shovels into the mud to start the 'emergency' stabilization of the switchbacks? I originally wanted the Council to go ahead and do the 'emergency' repairs under current study. I now reluctantly agree that just having the 'emergency' plans 'shovel ready' might be good, but I wonder what more Mother Nature has in store for us, after this first full day of Spring.

I have a bit more information that the Environmental Impact Report for Ponte Vista at San Pedro may be coming out a few months sooner, even perhaps in a month or so.

The Traffic Studies used the correct I.T.E. trip generation tables for the various types of housing units planned for the site, but there are some problems cropping up with the times the studies were conducted and other formulas used.

There is a good number of us who have been to classes in how to interpret E.I.R.s, E.I.S.s and other planning documentation, so it is growing more difficult for developers to try and pull any wool or other fabric from animals over our heads.

I do feel that Rancho Palos Verdes Patch should be read daily and that it should be bookmarked. I think it offers more 'folksy' news and information other sources, including this blog, don't necessarily carry.

I am pleased it is available but I have learned there is no San Pedro Patch, so that might be one way a real writer/publisher might find a new way to make some money.

Spring has sprung.
The grass has riz.
I'm still looking for
Lots of sunshine.

The flowers will certainly come in bunches,
because of all this darn rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment