Friday, September 4, 2009

A Mailing From John McTaggart

Our mailbox held a mailing from Rancho Palos Verdes City Council candidate John McTaggart, today.

Naturally I opened it and read it as carefully as I could.

I do appreciate Mr. McTaggart's years of service to our city, but I also feel that he should let others serve our city as he has done.

His mailer contained wording about his extensive experience. Clearly he has been a candidate many times and I had hoped this mailing would have provided greater evidence of his experience in running for office.

Along the left side of the page was a 'Partial list of supporters'. I read that list seeking to learn who some of Mr. McTaggart's supporters are and whether I might know some of them.

Halfway down the list I noticed the names reappearing on the page. Looking further at the list it appears the list was completely repeated, except for the names of one couple, so as to make it appear that there are more supporters than are actually named.

I don't like this tactic one bit. I don't think Mr. McTaggart can claim this use by claiming he is a novice at running for office. It may even be pityful to read names repeated because a candidate doesn't have the names of enough supporters to fill the side of the page, but does so anyway.

I continue to consider that Mr. McTaggart's service as a City Council member has come and gone and he has provided good service to our city.

I think it is time to let others join the ranks of Rancho Palos Verdes City Council members. like Mr. McTaggart has already done.

These next two election cycles will bring a complete change in the membership of our City Council. I hope that no other former City Council members decide to run in two years so we can have a Council seated without former Mayors back on our Council.

We have the opportunity to provide a completely fresh and new approach to the governance of Rancho Palos Verdes and I hope we all consider the benefits that could bring to all of us.

I am now fairly settled on one of my votes on November 3. I still have one vote to work towards and right now I feel there are four candidates that could earn my vote.

As a known progressive, I feel Mr. Misetich is not necessarily someone who I am interested in learning much more about. He may be a wonderful gentleman, but his politics is too far right for my liking.

I do however, consider that a balance between conservatives, centrists, and progressives would be the best for our city. In the next two cycles I would like to see that happen. And we all have a chance to make that happen, if we choose to.

My first vote is strongly leaning towards Mr. Jeffrey Lewis. I have written that on other posts.

The four other candidates I am going to consider are ramping up their campaigns and I hope to attend functions for them to learn more about them so I will be able to vote for the two candidates I feel would provide the best service and representation to our city.

Right now any one of them could potentially receive a vote from me.

In Tom Long's recent Email, he offered that he will opine about the seven candidates. I will appreciate what I read from him and the other current members of our Council.

I think the more we learn about candidates we wish to learn more about, the better we can vote to provide the best leadership to our city.

No comments:

Post a Comment