Saturday, July 10, 2010

Marymont's Board of Trustees

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was looking at the members of the Marymount College Board of Trustees.

There are reasons for my research and it looks like there are reasons Marymount College has the Board of Trustees it has, especially in the quest to renovate the Marymount campus.

Marymount's Board of Trustees is a very impressive array of business leaders, finance experts, engineers, educators, consultants, and leaders in their respective fields of expertise.

The Board also seem heavily stacked with members who have abilities that can provide leadership, advise, consultation, and related experience and knowledge in the fields of development financing, student recruitment, marketing, community outreach, civil engineering, public relations, and areas that steer more towards campus expansion than campus maintenance and other non-development or expansion issues.

It is not unreasonable to consider that Marymount's ten year journey towards seeking favorable outcomes to its expansion project begun so long ago, would lead the makeup of the Board towards those members who can contribute the most toward the goals Marymount set out for itself and its expansion plans so very long ago.

I don't feel it is necessary to question the qualifications of Board members to support Marymount the best way they know how. Individually and as a group they make up a 'who's who' in their respective fields.

There can be questions raised about possible motives, potential outcomes, possible strategies, and private and business histories of some of the members of the Board. Not everything is all positive with every single Board members, as found in public domain documents.

But it looks to me that the Board is made up of members who have a mission to get The Marymount Plan in place and have on-campus housing built, perhaps as the primary and overriding goal.

As the rhetoric gets nastier on both sides of the issues, there will be claims and counter claims brought forth. It is not going to be pretty, on any side.

But I will continue to offer only provable truths, objective facts, and yes, assertions, opinions, and ideas that could even result in some pretty interesting fiction.

I will always be ready and willing to correct or confirm any and all facts I purport to be true, if I find I am in error in any way.

I will always be ready and willing to debate safety issues relating to placing college student housing in a low density neighborhood on top of a curving, hilly, and narrowing roadway.

I will always be ready and willing to take on what I feel is misleading information from all sides of the issues. I have do so with some of CCC/ME's writings and suggestions.

I don't feel I need to resort to slander or libel to establish the truth and offer opinions that are fact-based and not unreasonable or disrespectful.

I have laid out all my ups and downs in a previous post so attacking me now and in the future is much ado about something already done.....by me.

I do understand that there are those in Rancho Palos Verdes who are very skeptical about the motives and possible reasons some of the members of the Board are on the Board and what could become of Marymount College and/or its campus. There will be some observations about that in a future post.

With the letter from the law firm to the city of Rancho Palos Verdes citing potential violations of the Brown Act and Mayor Pro Tem Tom Long's response/letter to the State Bar of California, it is going to be a hot summer and fall in this community whether the air temperature every get over 100 degrees or not. We all need to be prepared for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment