Saturday, January 29, 2011

Measure C Stuff

This coming Monday there are two events dealing with Measure C.

At 10:30 in the morning a Seniors group will have representatives of both sides of the upcoming vote at Fred Hesse Park.

At 7:00 PM, probably in the same meeting room, the Committee established by the City Council will hold its meeting.

There will also be two events scheduled for the same time on February 9.

If I have my dates correct, the League of Women Voters is sponsoring a debate on the measure and the Rolling Hills Riviera HOA is having representatives speak on both sides of the discussions.

It is beginning to look like some Trustees of Marymount College and other supporters of the failed Measure P are now a group opposed to the passage of Measure C.

It is realistic to believe this might be the case because it looks as if passage of Measure C and the creation of Rancho Palos Verdes as a charter city could find that the way Marymount supporters got their "Marymount Plan" onto the ballot and the subsequent election would probably not be allowed via a new ordinance established under our city being a charter city.

Some opponents probably believe they have a better chance of seeing "The Marymount Plan" approved by keeping Rancho Palos Verdes a General Law city.

*Big hint folks* This is one of the few reasons I support passage of Measure C.

It is time for all the supporters of Measure C, the ballot measure to approve our city becoming a charter city, to either eliminate their current stance regarding prevailing wage guidelines as a major reason for supporting Measure C or, put up or shut up.

I have done a good deal of research on the number of charter cities in the State and also in Los Angeles County.

There are some rude awakening statistics I will probably publish that clearly illustrate that the number of charter cities in the State and even within L.A. county that have no exemptions from established and existing prevailing wage guidelines and laws.

While many may consider partial or full exemptions from prevailing wage guidelines is what our city must have, the majority of charter cities, including Torrance and Redondo Beach have no exemptions from prevailing wage guidelines.

So far, I have found two very, very good reasons to support Measure C and have Rancho Palos Verdes becoming a charter city.

I feel strongly that if we can protect tax revenues coming into our city from being taken back by Sacrament and even the Federal Government, that is something I strongly support.

I don't know if protecting our funds would mean Sacramento and Washington would provide less funds.

The second reason I support Measure C is that none of us in our city should EVER have to to through what we all had to suffer with during the processes and voting concerning Measure P, The Marymount Plan.

I have found and kept confidence with our Planning Commission and our City Council over the past several years. Those bodies did remarkable work with Terranea, Marymount College, and they continue to represent our residents well.

But AND however! While I support Measure C, I cannot endorse its passage by calling on every resident to vote for the measure.

There are still some real questions that have gone unanswered by both supporters and opponents.

I am very cautious as to what the next membership of our City Council might look like.

With all this effort by Marymount supporters to oppose Measure C, I do not want to have to deal with supporters of The Marymount Plan coming onto the City Council and basically rubber-stamping approval of the Plan, as they would be able to do.

I continue to feel there really are some things not being said by supporters of the measure. When just about every talking point is repeated by supporters without more open, honest, and forthright opinions, it makes both sides look bad and right now for me, the supporters are challenging my thinking about the measure.

Measure C and having Rancho Palos Verdes becoming a charter MAY be the best thing, but not enough open and honest discussion has happened yet.

I hope the upcoming meetings will be well attended.

Anyone, and I mean anyone who states that there is not enough information about Measure C 'out there' or for them to consider needs to shut up and learn.

I can find volumes of information about Measure C, charter cities in California, legal and social issues, and just about anything I want dealing with aspects of Rancho Palos Verdes becoming a charter city or remaining a General Law city.

The city's Web site has plenty of information albeit just about everything slanted towards a 'yes' vote on the measure.

One thing I did say early on is that those supportive of Measure C and R.P.V. becoming a charter city, should have paid the costs of the portion of the election, the measure is related to.

There has been taxpayer funds spent supportive of passage of Measure C, with staff time dealing with the measure and I feel that unless equal amounts of taxpayer money going for opposition to the measure, supporters should pay.

I fully understand that the city is legally allowed to do what has been done, it just looks bad for the city (City Council) and city staff, time, and facilities being used by a committee established specifically for the passage of Measure C and R.P.V. becoming a charter city.

I may have a much different set of considerations to ponder over by Monday night.

I see as well as I can the benefits and problems of having R.P.V. becoming a charter city.

Nobody should tell anyone else that having R.P.V. being a charter city is too good to be true.

I think supporters, because they are backed by our city's government and staff have an obligation to FULLY inform voters rather then opponents having to fight such an entrenched machine supporters have created.

This is another reason I support but can not endorse having others voting for Measure C.

3 comments:

  1. Your analysis is accurate. Why can we not get an accurate number for the potential savings from the elimination of Prevailing Wage (PW) requirements? Because it is a "Red Herring" dreamed up by the committee to pass Measure C. The concept of not paying PW applies only to projects NOT funded in whole or in part by the state or federal gov.. What projects does RPV contemplate that would save so much money? I agree that we need to protect our own tax revenue as best we can, but, do you believe that the state or feds will be deterred if they really want the money? All they have to do is pass legislation removing the exemption for charter cities. I think becoming a "Charter City" is a good idea, if and when a reasonable charter is drafted by a true citizens group not by a chosen few who demonstrate that they enthusiastically drink the CC coolaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis is accurate. Why can we not get an accurate number for the potential savings from the elimination of Prevailing Wage (PW) requirements? Because it is a "Red Herring" dreamed up by the committee to pass Measure C. The concept of not paying PW applies only to projects NOT funded in whole or in part by the state or federal gov.. What projects does RPV contemplate that would save so much money? I agree that we need to protect our own tax revenue as best we can, but, do you believe that the state or feds will be deterred if they really want the money? All they have to do is pass legislation removing the exemption for charter cities. I think becoming a "Charter City" is a good idea, if and when a reasonable charter is drafted by a true citizens group not by a chosen few who demonstrate that they enthusiastically drink the CC coolaid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ed/Anonymous. for your comment(s?).

    I have stopped short of using "red herring" but I certainly may be ready to call it that if what I expect to hear from supporters is repeated during the two meetings on Monday.

    I also appreciate your mention of a 'true citizens group'.

    I think the term 'coolaid' or 'cool aid' comes as a talking point from the organized folks opposed to Measure C as I have seen it in other forms.

    I use Kool-Aid or Kool Aid and I hope I don't get in trouble with the folks who make the drink powders.

    By the evening of February 9, we all should have a greater perspective on to guage the support and opposition to the measure. It would still give both sides over a month to get their points out to more residents.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete