Monday, June 6, 2011

Bits and Pieces 33

The following is dated for tomorrow, but it looks real and fall into some ideas that have been discussed, lately.

I have written about Marymount's plans to add studies and probably more housing in San Pedro and I have made verbal and written comments about that not necessarily being a bad thing at all.

One way the downtown San Pedro area might find some revitalization is to become somewhat more like a real 'college town' welcoming upper division Marymount students to study and live in an area that could use some new vim and vigor.

The idea of placing 900 beds along Palos Verdes Drive North is something quite new to me and I will need some pondering seconds to consider.

Okay, I've considered. NINE HUNDRED BEDS! Are they nuts? Maybe, just maybe 500-600 tops, DEPENDING on what the final buildout at Ponte Vista is.

I do think putting the bulk of the beds and classrooms in now vacant addresses in downtown San Pedro is a better idea.

I hope that this might mean Dr. Brophy and others will lay off attempting to have on-campus housing built at the current campus. Unfortunately, I think supporters of dorms on Palos Verdes Drive East might consider having that housing for Freshmen students and a few Sophomores.

In other news, the new Goodwill store has opened. I haven't been inside it but it looks like it has space inside and doesn't appear to have racks too close together.

The first 'look' at what the new district boundaries for CD 36 have been published, yet nothing should be considered set in stone.

I'll have an illustration up on this blog, hopefully later this week. The illustrations pretty much shows what most folks expected, it appears.

Congratulations and GREAT JOB to all those middle school students who participated in "Beauty and the Beast" at Miraleste I.S. and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" at Chadwick. We were amazed at the talent and drive the students, parents, teachers and helpers had with these two musicals.

I'm still looking to see which others are throwing their hats into the ring for a seat on our City Council, this December. I support Ken Dyda and Dave Eminhiser for two of the seats, but there are three seats up for grabs and there is no reason we can't support any number of candidates we think would be good representatives of our interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment