Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'd Love Comments and Ideas On The Following

This may be a terrible idea. I am sure many won't like it either.

I want to have folks consider a proposal for a new ordinance in our city. It is something not dissimilar to a litmus test, especially for Marymount College.

It might also be a type of litmus test for those who completely opposed to the idea of having on campus housing approved and built on the Marymount College campus.

You know I am not a lawyer so my craftsmanship of a proposed ordinance is awkward at best and I would like help from lawyers in suggesting other ways to write the following.

If the concept is not clear enough for you, please write to me and I will try to explain my position better.

Having on campus housing for students attending Marymount College would certainly cause distraction and problems for residents living close to the campus and others closer to transit routed. Many RPV residents would be negatively impacted by having students living on Marymount's Palos Verdes Drive East campus. those who don't feel this is true are absolutely wrong. But perhaps, just perhaps, there may be some way to find more mitigation regarding the issues.

A proposed ordinance in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes.

Any and all new construction of units designed to house individuals, either by separate interests, organized businesses, institutions and other organizations, built with the expressed intent in supplying housing on a temporary basis to persons for not fewer than 365 consecutive days, will be considered to fall under the guidelines, authorities, and conditional use permits established for temporary occupancy.

As such, the temporary occupancy units will be subject to a 10% tax or fee, based on the daily or monthly rated charged for occupancy.

This ordinance will apply to every units designed and built to house persons on an overnight basis, regardless of whether kitchen appliances and other dining facilities are provided in the individual dwelling units.

If Marymount College and any other business, group, organization or institution requests approval of temporary housing for individuals for not fewer than 365 days, consecutively, that approval would be granted through a conditional use permit requiring placement of appropriate fees or taxes within 30 days of occupancy. Those funds would be placed into escrow accounts for the purposes of establishing revenue towards the city of Rancho Palos Verdes' general funds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My idea here is to see whether Dr. Brophy and others are willing to pay TOT fees for the units considered on campus housing at Marymount College. It is also being considered by me because of the inconvenience placed on RPV residents by an institution having the vast majority of individuals living on the campus but not from the local area.

My proposed ordinance would not discriminate towards or against any entity and would include other entities besides Marymount College.

I would also have the ordinance be suit-proof in terms of any entity falling under its requirements being able to use any specialized status to keep that entity from paying the taxes or fees.

Our city and its residents must be sure that our city's revenue is helped because of the inconveniences placed on our residents, infrastructure and governmental entities by businesses, institutions, individuals or groups offering temporary housing to individuals who will most likely not become permanent residents of our city, most likely.

If an ordinance like this passes and Marymount builds dorms on its campus, and I still live where I live, I will have more Marymount traffic pass my driveway than any house in the area of Ganado and almost every single house in the Mediterranea neighborhood.

I will have more noise from In and Out Burger where many dorm dwellers will visit and I will be impacted much more than most who live closer to the campus because of my living so close to Western Avenue.

But perhaps our city could gain more revenue for its general fund by having TOT fees collected by entities providing housing to people on a fewer than 365 consecutive days basis.

I still don't want dorms built on Marymount's campus but I feel that I should be honest enough to offer in writing what I have been pondering lately.

Yes, Dr. Brophy has added a number of conditions to his original claim the college will pay for the Measure P election. I think that is best described as scummy and I will write about that when I have even more information than I have now.

Yes, I do like and support most of Dr. Brophy's ideas about having upper division classes and housing conducted in San Pedro because I think it benefits everyone.

Yes, I still strongly support The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project.

Yes, I still strongly oppose The Marymount Plan.

Yes, I support the plans for additional air conditioning capacity inside a building or buildings on Marymount's campus.

And finally yes, I think this will remain ugly in terms of what Marymount supporters want versus what is best for the majority of residents of our city who are so very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment