Sunday, December 4, 2011

Goodbye Bally's, Hello L.A. Fitness

On December 1, 2011, the Bally's Total Fitness facility on Western Avenue in Rancho Palos Verdes became part of the LA Fitness family.

Terri and I took to the pools there earlier today and we noticed right away that something was afoot.

When we went to have our membership cards scanned, there was no scanner and it looked like there was only one person working at the site.

Later I found more workers there but they seemed very reluctant to provide much information.

Below is a link to the Web site for the new LA Fitness location:

https://www.lafitness.com/Pages/clubhome.aspx?clubid=773

It looks like The Australian Swim School is still operating at the facility as well as the physical therapy business, on the site.

The most I could garner out of one of the workers at the check in table was that my account was good for the remainder of the month and that I may have to have some changes made to it, but I hope that doesn't come to pass.

Right now, I was told that work is being done to convert Bally's membership cards to LA Fitness membership cards.

Terri and I have been members of Bally's at that location, for many years. It is close to our house and the pools and equipment really were beneficial for my recovery from the hip surgeries I have had.

What was a pleasant surprise to me is that the facility didn't close its doors and lock out members, when the changeover occurred. So many time folks will try for their regular visit to their gym only to find it closed down, out of business, with not even a 'thank you and goodbye' taped to the door.

I don't think I was paying attention to any Email that may have come to me about the changeover and even though I haven't shed my old Emails for a couple of weeks, I think I saw an address from Bally's that I must have 'lost' or can't find.

So, the changeover happened. It is fairly stark in the place on a Sunday afternoon. All the products in the coolers are gone and it looks like the minions of trainers attempting to secure more members are nowhere in sight, today.

The pools continue to be not as clean as we would like them to be, but they are all currently available and the temperature of the larger pool is about 80 degrees, with the smaller pool at about 90 degrees. The big jacuzzi-type pool is hot and the dry sauna also continues to offer folks who sweat exiting it.

See folks, things do change on the east side of Rancho Palos Verdes.

No comments:

Post a Comment