Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Initial Leanings

I haven't learned much about all of the candidates as I need to do before endorsing any of them.

I think we should all wait to learn more about all of them and learn from any Web sites that may be published for the three possible candidates who don't have one up yet.

I don't know how many of the six who took out nominating forms will eventually declared candidates, but there seems to be a mix of views and platforms folks can look at.

Since I consider myself far left of center, I am pleased that the election is non-partisan. But by looking at the platforms of the candidates and learning more about them, we should be able to tell whether they lean to the right, left, or just stand in the middle.

We get to vote for two candidates on November 3, 2009 and then is just about exactly 2 year's time, another election will replace the three current members who are not being replaced in December.

I am leaning towards Mr. Jeff Lewis and Mr. Jim Knight.

I was not all that pleased with the way Mr. Lewis handled the Marymount Project issues as Chair of the Planning Commission, but that doesn't disqualify him in my book.

I do feel Mr. McTaggart has served our city for long enough that he should probably retire from seeking a seat and relish in his great accomplishments for our city.

I know of one possible candidate who seems to lean too far to the right for my liking. But that is certainly understandable given the number of conservatives living in our city compared to more progressive residents.

It is still quite early in the running and I hope to see a big breakout in campaigning starting on Labor Day, as traditions usually held.

But there are many ways to learn about the gentlemen running for the two seats, right now.

I think we have real choices in this election.

No comments:

Post a Comment