Monday, June 21, 2010

Bits and Pieces 1

Since I have had "Odds and Ends" as a weekly post on my blog for Ponte Vista at San Pedro, I thought I would begin a weekly post to keep up with The Marymount Plan and its Initiative.

So, in an effort to help tear apart all the bits of misinformation, lack of candor, probable evasiveness, deceptive marketing opined by some, that is my reasoning for "Bits".

"Pieces" came to mind when I thought about the similarities and differences between all the pieces of The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project that I strongly support and the pieces of The Marymount Plan that differ and I completely oppose.

To some, there are up to 162 different bits and pieces they want Marymount to acknowledge and respond to.

To others, it may simply be solely about on-campus housing at Marymount.

To me, I oppose on-campus housing and I have written about my opposition on many posts and my opposition comes from safety concerns.

I also have taken up my armor and sword to go into battle with the piece of The Marymount Plan that deals with their, dare I write it, demand that a new municipal code be approved by voters to allow them power and authority over our community that just about any other private or public entity has, save for our own city government and city services.
____________________________________________
Over this past weekend I think I have been able to utilize some very knowledgeable sources and resources provided to me by them and others to provide a possible reason why Marymount College's administration, Board of Trustees, and Marymount supporters are so active in seeking voter approval of the ballot measure specifically created for and benefiting only Marymount College.

The posts illustrated a possibility that still hasn't been confirmed or denied by anyone representing Marymount College that they would have the opportunity to enter into agreements with an outside company which would build, maintain, and manage on-campus housing without cost to Marymount and its supporters and still provide a monthly income to Marymount College's administration to use as that group wishes.

I have not been unsuccessful in learning about 'auxiliary services' contracted from outside companies to conduct business and operations on at least several colleges I have found via the Internet.

Whether it is leasing out facilities on a short-term basis or building, operating, and maintaining campus and dormitory food services, there are several companies that have contracts with various institutions of higher learning to provide goods and services without income from the college and with actually incoming flowing into the coffers of the colleges and universities that have contracts that can also include the construction and operation of a book store.
___________________________________________
I believe I have now discovered how representatives of Marymount College may have been planning all along, to find ways to finance The Marymount Plan and now I realize that the methods possibly being currently considered by Dr. Brophy and others are not allowable under the guidelines and plans of The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project.

If a college can enter into long term contracts for on-campus student housing and also different types of contracts for the use of the campus' facilities, and there is a new municipal code that restricts enforcement of laws and regulations that residents and other business have to live under, I now can see why Marymount's President and other representatives are so forward in their marketing attempts yet seemingly unwilling to address many of the issues involved with The Marymount Plan.
_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment