Monday, November 7, 2011

24 Hours Until A Big Change

At this writing, I think the best possible outcome that will become our next city council would be to see Mayor Anthony Misetich ending the December 6, 2011 city council meeting.

Next to him will be Mayor Pro Tem Brian Campbell and the two of them will welcome Dave Emenhiser, Jim Knight and Jerry Duhovic as members.

Whoever joins Anthony and Brian will make up the biggest change in council history since the council was first seated over 3-1/2 decades ago.

Current Mayor Tom long sent out a recent Email that stated that in some past elections, the membership of the council was not decided until the votes cast on election day made all the difference.

So, even if you think the outcome has already been determined by mailed in ballots, for this election, PLEASE don't decide to skip voting tomorrow.

This is especially true for those of us living in the Eastview area of eastern Rancho Palos Verdes because we only get to vote for who will be joining our city council.

We don't have any vote for PVPUSD Board candidates and we can't vote on Measure M.

What all registered voters in Rancho Palos Verdes have is the opportunity to help decide who your governors are and there are far too many people around the world who do not have those rights which should not be taken for granted or who would willingly 'waste' their votes.

If you have not yet decided who you will vote for, please consider most positively Mr. Jim Knight and Mr. Dave Emenhiser.

If you are still trying to decide whether to vote for Ms. Susan Brooks or Mr. Jerry Duhovic, please positively consider Mr. Jerry Duhovic over voting for Susan.

I never received the multi-page document distributed to some homes in RPV.

But I also never heard from Ms. Susan Brooks anything about whether the allegations in that document are true or false, point by point.

Since I still don't know what most of the document reported, who is to really factually determine whether the items within the document are true and if so, what might that mean about those who support Ms. Brooks' campaign?

Susan Brooks, via an item regarding her candidacy, called those who distributed the document, a 'group', but she never named the 'group' she associates with the distribution.

There is something classic going on here, I feel.

Somebody says or writes something about 'person A'. 'Person A' denies it until more facts reveal that what was said or written is true. Then, 'person A' changes their story to attempt to remain believable. More facts are revealed and then 'person A' finally has to acknowledge the truth or continue to deny something that is true.

In the recent week or so, we have seen something like this from a Presidential candidate, just like we saw with former Presidential candidate John Edwards and even President Clinton.

It is not implausible to imagine someone with a 'history' that may have some negative elements 'buried', trying to discredit those who remind folks of that 'history' rather than facing up and owning the true facts in that 'history'.

I don't feel Susan Brooks has done that effectively with the 'history' purported belonging to her and that is something Jerry Duhovic has any problem with in his 'history'.

If we are going to have a conservative elected to our council, I feel it is best for that new member not have the 'history' similar to Susan's or someone who may have a more checkered past.

If this makes me skeptical, than I plead guilty to not be willing to support a candidate who cannot or will not provide factual evidence that what was purported is, in fact, only fiction.

There have been quite a few 'little birds' willing to 'chirp' to me and those 'chirps' seem to point to the possibilities of greater difficulties in the governance of our city with Susan on our council, rather than Jerry Duhovic.

Now Jerry and I agree to disagree on quite a few things and he might truly wish to see Susan joining Brian, Anthony and him. But I feel that would be problematic to all residents in our city, that's just my opinion.

As for Ms. Dora de la Rosa, I feel she would be a great administrator in the PVPUSD or some other school district....until she runs for another office.

I like Mayor Ken Dyda's ways at looking at problems and working towards solutions. He is a real mentor to others in that capacity and he works hard at knowing how to solve problems and network towards achieving common goals.

But at this time, I feel those wonderful strengths he has provided better serve our residents and city by continuing to do what he has done for many years and assist both staff and council members in a more open and outside elective office.

I hope I am still living in RPV to campaign for and help elect Eric Alegria to our city council. He is a bright gentleman who has provided great services to so many and as an educator, provided some of the most important work a person can provide.

I'd like to campaign for him after his firstborn is walking and he might have the more time necessary to gain 'RPV cred' and be the dad he surely wants to be for his kids.

Seeing what I have seen and knowing what I know, all of our current and most of our former council members need lots and lots of time to do the work for our residents to be the best members possible. Eric will be one of those members, in the future and I wish for him more time to watch his family grow as his experiences involving RPV goes.

Now, how many of you readers can't wait to see how many votes Ms. Cynthia Smith receives.

I won't vote for her because my votes are too important to me to something I think is a waste of a vote. I'd rather use my two votes for the two candidates I feel will provide the best possible council members, as far as I am concerned and leave my third vote alone.

I mentioned all the good qualities that Eric possesses and some of the more negative issues I find revolving with Susan and Dora and she has decided that her third vote will go to Eric.

I mentioned Jerry's good qualities to Terri, too. But she is like me and she won't vote for someone as conservative as Jerry is.

Please vote! Thousands have dies and millions have been maimed, in a great part, to allow you to live where you live and have the remaining freedoms that haven't been taken away, in the last few years.

Honor yourself, your city and your rights to vote for the candidates you wish to vote for.

No comments:

Post a Comment