Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bits and Pieces 32

I don't remember if I ever missed voting in an election. In November, 1976 I was still in Basic Training at Lackland A.F.B. and I don't remember if I voted by absentee ballot, or if I even had that opportunity.

I remember voting for one ballot measure, I think a runoff for L.A. County Sheriff and today I got an absentee ballot that just had one item on it.

I will vote for Scott Svonkin. I know where Lydia comes from politically and I am so far opposed to some of the things she approves of, there is no way I would vote for her.

The Clearwater Program for District Five of the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts is ramping up more community outreach efforts and plans and documents long in planning for release, should be out, later this year.

I have written quite a bit about the program to construct a new Joint Outfall System that will provide more modern facilities than the two outfall systems under Western Avenue since at least 1957.

I will write more in a future post on several of my blogs.

What is new and very important is the fact that the District's plans have eliminated most of the proposed sites for the giant shaft that must be dug to place the tunneling equipment and materials and remove the diggings from the tunnel.

There are four proposed shaft sites, but there truly is only one option that everyone must fight to see it built.

The shaft could be as deep as 500 feet from the surface and as wide as 200 feet in diameter.

Two of the four proposed sites must be deemed 'non starters' because they are located at Royal Palm and Angel's Gate Park. Can you imagine 8 years worth of truck traffic going through San Pedro or eastern R.P.V., possibly along Western Avenue?

The third proposed site is the old Southwest Marine site along the main channel, just across from Port's O Call.

This might not be that bad, but putting a really deep shaft that close to the main channel seems a bit odd to me.

The one proposed site that over 99% of those asked where they would like to see the shaft dug is a the old LAXT coke distribution site, on Terminal Island.

This proposed site is not around any residences, except the prison and Coast Guard Station. The Station is pretty close to Southwest Marine's old site.

The proposed site is very easily accessible to a number of freeways AND there is a rail line on the site so that trains can be used to move the debris taken from the big hole in the ground.

There is also some talk about more joint use between our District and the sewage treatment plant that serves south L.A./San Pedro, which is located on Terminal Island.

More information coming.

After looking at the information about the new air conditioning units planned for a building at Marymount College, I feel pretty comfortable with the plans and I hope students, teachers and others will feel more comfortable once the new units are in place.

The units proposed would sit atop a building that would have probably been removed under the guidelines of The Marymount Plan, but the building would still exist under The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project, which I fully support.

The good folks at the Montessori school at the Ladera Linda community facility have been given another extension by our Council, with regards to staying at the old site, or losing their lease, there.

The facility is an old school that is continuing to fall apart. It's infrastructure need even more repair and some in our city want it torn down or have others pay for new construction.

If the preschool must vacate, I'd like to see the old buildings torn down with new fields, courts, and several diamonds built on the site. I could easily see good restroom facilities being constructed along with a small office structure.

I don't think those representing the Montessori school have the money to make all the necessary repairs and since other groups use the facilities from time to time, I think they should help pay. I don't thing the school's reps should shoulder all the costs because they don't use the facility 'all the time'.

A house is for sale on our block. During one of the open houses a family, described by some as gypsies used kids as part of a distraction while other went through drawers and things and stole some high priced personal belongings, jewelery, and cash.

A Sheriff's report was taken and other information gathered and we hope the items and cash are recovered.

I am writing this to inform those considering having open houses that it might be a good idea to hide small items and cash from anyone who might steal things.

I still haven't received any new information about the date the Ponte Vista at San Pedro Environmental Impact Report will be released. It is an important document to learn about if you live or know someone who lives on the eastern side of Rancho Palos Verdes, northwest San Pedro and may also be of interest to others living elsewhere on The Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment