Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Meeting With Councilman Misetich

On Saturday March 27, I met with Councilman Anthony Misetich. I felt we had a very good meeting and we both shared many concerns, ideas, and thoughts.

Councilman Misetich asked me to not publish this post until after the Council voted on the 12 parts of The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project. Since neither of us had any idea of how the voting would turn out and what would crop up, I thought I should hold off. I should have published last week.

As you may know, I was one of the most outspoken opponents to the election of Councilman Misetich. It was based on my concerns about his support for Bob Bisno's plans for Ponte Vista.

Councilman Misetich supported Bob's plans for Senior Housing at Ponte Vista and I too, hope that there may be some Senior Housing at the site, as long as it conforms to my personal limit of no more that 831 total dwelling units at Ponte Vista at San Pedro.

I don't know how many Senior Units Councilman Misetich still wishes to see built at Ponte Vista but both of us agree that it is going to be some time before anything move forward with the project.

As it turned out, I now feel that the election of Councilman Misetich was actually a good idea, keeping in mind the potential disaster in the San Ramon/Tarapaca canyon areas and the drainage problems there.

In the history of Rancho Palos Verdes, I don't think there has been any other Councilperson who was or is as able to work with other communities like Councilman Misetich does regularly.

Councilman Misetich has a wonderful association with businesses and government leaders in San Pedro and that is so necessary at this time because of the needs to work with many governmental agencies to end the drainage problems and provide a stable hillside to protect the switchbacks along Palos Verdes Drive East.

Councilman Misetich has already provided leadership in helping to bring various parties from different cities and Los Angeles County together to work toward finding and funding solutions in the area of the border of San Pedro and Rancho Palos Verdes.

During our talk we discussed many items and found agreement that we both need to find ways to encourage Eastview residents to become more involved in Rancho Palos Verdes Government and our city's issues.

We of course talked about Ponte Vista, but since it is in a limbo status, there really wasn't much more we needed to talk about. I told him about my thought as to why I felt 831 total units should be reasonable and he told me about his associations with The Gardens and how that is a successful housing area.

We talked a bit about Trump and Terranea and we both support the survival of Terranea that brings to our community many dollars.

Our talk concerning Marymount College was informative, I think, for both of us. I think we were pretty much in agreement about the issues and that was demonstrated very well, I feel, with his votes concerning the Marymount College FacilitiesExpansion Project during the Council's March 31 meeting.

Councilman Misetich made several votes that were different than the majority votes on the issues revolving around the soccer field at Palos Verdes North and the Living Campus/Academic Campus Alternative supported by CCC/ME.

What I found intriguing with his votes is that he knew he was voting on a moot issue and his votes, I felt were the correct votes on this particular part of the Project.

Council Misetich and I both shared the concern about errant balls bouncing onto Palos Verdes Drive East from fields and courts placed on the western side of Marymount College and that was reflected with his vote to place a new soccer field on the east side of the campus and not the west.

I don't understand Councilman Misetich's ideas surrounding zero-based budgeting so he and I could not really discuss that on any educated means. I need to learn more about that type of budgeting before I can say whether I like it or don't like it.

I do like Councilman Misetich's idea of a sharing of tax revenue by businesses to encourage growth in those businesses that will support growth in Rancho Palos Verdes. Councilman Misetich explained it to me and I think it is a good idea that could help struggling business in R.P.V. stay afloat and encourage more businesses coming to our city thereby increasing revenue.

I know we will not agree on everything. I do like Councilman Misetich's ideas to restore the number of volunteers wanting to work on various Commissions and Committees in our city. The number of members on practically all Commissions and Committees were cut and Councilman Misetich wants the number of members to be restored.

Since I was one of the Commissioners cut, I am pleased with Councilman Misetich's stand on this particular issue.

We didn't talk about the four remaining storm drains that haven't failed....yet, under Western Avenue and I hope neither of us have to deal with that in the future.

Our talk lasted well over one hour and I am thankful to Councilman Misetich for such a great meeting.

Councilman Misetich told me he wants to talk with many residents living in all parts of Rancho Palos Verdes and that can't be a bad thing.

We had our meeting at the Starbucks on Western at Westmont. Since we both consider ourselves to be Real San Pedrans, it wasn't that surprising how many folks greeted Councilman Misetich and how many folks I recognized during our chat.

Councilman Misetich received the most votes in the three precincts that make up the "Eastview" area of Rancho Palos Verdes and also he received the most votes of any candidate in the recent election, citywide.

Normally Eastview has about 11% registered voter participation in elections for our City Council. During the last election, 12.18% of the registered voters in Eastview voted. It is far too few in terms of participation, but it was a slightly higher turnout and that will hopefully be improved upon in the future.

Both Councilman Misetich and Councilman Brian Campbell joined the City Council at one of the most contentious periods in our city's history, because of the Monks case, San Ramon Canyon, Marymount, Trump, and the fiscal problems all governments are facing.

It appears that both of these new Councilman have jumped directly from the pan and into the fire with determination to serve our residents and help guide R.P.V. into the future.

*Additional Comments.

I applaud Councilman Misetich for his votes concerning Marymount. He stood with other members of the Council to provide what I feel is the best project, so far.

I know the issue of the soccer field was a major issue and I continue to feel that having the soccer field on the west side of the campus poses a greater safety problem for everyone.

I also applaud Councilman Campbell for his ideas concerning having the soccer field on the west side if the fencing on the northwest side was higher, the movable netting's height was increased from 20 feet to 30 feet, and the placement of barriers, such ad K-rails throughout the center portion of P.V.Drive East as it hugs the campus' borders.

I hope a reasonable outcome for the soccer field can be found before and during the May 4 Council Meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment