Monday, August 23, 2010

Bits and Pieces 10


The first new thing I learned this morning is that cannolis aren't ready until after 11:00 AM at Amalfitano. And they sell out every day.
So, I ordered and paid for two cannolis for pickup later today and 'settled' for a zappala.
Naturally I enjoyed the zappala with its thick pastry texture and all that sugar on the top. Was it the only thing I ate during my first visit to Amalfitano Bakery this morning? Absolutely YES and certainly NO.
I also purchased a chocolate chip covered pastry and fully intended on taking it all the way home before eating it later today. I got just two doors away from the bakery and the treat came out of its bag and into my tummy.
Terri was with me, too. She sat and enjoyed her first "delicious" cheese danish at Amalfitano Bakery and she was pleased that "the price was right".
It took a week and less than one hour after opening, but my inaugural visit to this great new establishment is history.
We were told that 'breakfast' pastries are available at opening and that most of the other baked goods come out 'after 11:00 AM'. That is fine with me because there really is nothing I should eat in the morning and I should probably not enjoy much of anything else from there, either.
But I won't help it all that much. It will be hard not taking that very short stroll during a morning when I normally eat the breakfast I have eaten for months and months. Scales inform me that I need to remain on my new eating plan and sadly, Amalfitano Bakery has little the plan's menu carries.
I still await my first cannoli from Amalfitano Bakery. It will be waiting for me and there is one for Terri, after we return from 'Rookie Camp' at Miraleste I.S..
__________________________________________
Hawai'i is now filling our memories after emptying our wallets but those memories are all wonderful and the wallets don't have much to complain about.
As refreshed as we can be, Terri and I have an end of summer and a fall full of all kinds of things to think about and do. One of the issues that will take up much of my time is a pestering item that portends to populate a portion of my time, energy, thoughts, and psyche.
Measure P is our problem child that needs to be dealt with until at least November 2.
The Marymount Plan's "P" is a way representatives and supporters of Marymount's plans to acquire approvals to build dorms on campus are trying to get something that many of them know, or should know, is not in the true best interests of students, residents, and others, in my opinion.
In later posts, I will expand on the two articles that appeared last Thursday in The Palos Verdes Peninsula News.
I will also be gearing up for reactions to and about upcoming articles and propaganda from Marymount about their drive to get on-campus student housing approved for up to 250 students, or perhaps more, by going to voters for approval rather than methods done by developers and residents throughout the entire history of the city of Rancho Palos Verdes.
___________________________________________
'Summer' is finally here, right near the end of the established season. There is under one month left in the official summer season, but the heat is here and I hope everyone takes safety first into consideration when living in and with the heat.
Hot air temperatures in August are normal but this summer hasn't been normal. It makes me wonder what September and October will be like because both of those months also have periods of extreme heat.
Please stay safe and cool when you read this blog and at all other times.
_________________________________________
'Rookie Camp' is a one-day event for incoming 6th graders to our intermediate schools. Terri has worked as a library aide for years at Miraleste I.S. and I have been volunteering there for more years than I can remember.
As the new school year nears, rejoicing that kids are back in school is permitted, accepted, and somewhat wonderful. This year should be no exception and I hope all had a great time away from classrooms and crowded common areas.
This year, Terri and I can comment with some equality on where we went when students tell us how and where they spent part of their summer vacation.
I bet many students can talk about the exotic places they traveled to but they can't claim they were inside Keck II observatory as its dome was rotating and its telescope was moving.
For once in a long while, Terri has the best story of summer. Way to go!
___________________________________________
I also read that Eastview Little League gets to stay atop Knoll Hill in San Pedro, apparently past their contractual limitations.
I will deal with that on its own post.
__________________________________________
Since folks like me living in the Eastview area of R.P.V. still have a portion of property taxes we pay going to L.A.U.S.D. and not P.V.P.U.S.D., I feel there needs to be comments made and coming about the $500,000,000.00 set of schools where the Ambassador Hotel used to sit.
That sum does not sit well with me, even for schools for grades K-12 built for 4,200 students.
I hope and think it does not sit well with you, either. Especially if you live near Crestwood or Dodson.
_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment