Friday, August 13, 2010

Bits and Pieces 9 Days Early, I Know

According to Ms. Angela Romero of "San Pedro Block By Block", Amalfitano Bakery is now scheduled to open Monday August 16, 2010. How partially fantastic!

I have been waiting. We have been waiting. I will wait longer than you all have to, to enjoy my first cannoli from the new Bakery. I knew is could happen and I will miss the opening, but I will smile all morning when everyone else has the chance I will take on another day.

I think and hope the waiting has been worth it. My personal delay in entering the new establishment is not without its own pleasure and I promise to not eat a cannoli or any other Bakery treat where I am going.
___________________________________________
I am still wondering why Marymount is paying for all those T.V. spots where their initiative or even any of the expansion plans are not mentioned.

It probably is a buttering-up of viewers into thinking that the students viewed in the commercials deserve to live on Marymount's main campus.

Naturally, unless any of those viewed on the spots are workers or students at the College in years to come, they don't and won't have the chance to live in on-campus residential housing.
___________________________________________
Jim Gordon's letter to the editor in yesterday's Palos Verdes Peninsula News was very good and quite informative, both on the lines and between the lines.

As you may have read, Marymount's two previous approvals for on-campus housing were very much different than what Marymount now seeks to have.

There is precident in California for a Junior College campus to have ALL of its students residing on its campus. That college is located near the California/Nevada border, in the desert. it also have about 16 students learning ranching and agriculture.

Even though Marymount received approval for on-campus housing for up to 200 students, ALL students able to enroll at that student-count limit, Marymount did not have the funds to procees.

Now by extension, IF Marymount gets its victory in November, AFTER is originally sought to have on-campus housing for ALL of its students, where is the logic that says they won't then seek in increase the housing to the current 793-student enrollment limits or a number much more than just 250-students?

Since the measure allows them to build dorms AND supercede some codes and guidelines, what makes anyone truly believe they won't seek to raise the number of students and/or dorm rooms in the not-too-distant future, should the initiative succeed?
____________________________________________
I do realize that this post is days early. I won't necessarily be able to publish it on Monday.

I could have scheduled a publishing date of this coming Monday, but I wanted to get the news out about Amalfitano Bakery and not have to think about this post for the remainder of this weekend, which is already one of the busiest for Terri and I.
____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment