Wednesday, August 25, 2010

WWW.SAVERPV.COM

I may be not that early in finding www.saverpv.com but I found it and I am on board to help it and all residents of Rancho Palos Verdes vote down a completely unnecessary, expensive, and disturbing measure.

As you all may know by now, my opposition to P is quite different than almost everyone else, but I strongly share with them their conviction that this measure MUST NOT PASS!

Since I first read through The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project's initial files, I have been unable to find that on-campus housing of students is safer than keeping student housing as it currently is.

Furthermore, I strongly believe that there is no possible way that any mitigation can be provided to insure greater safety for students, faculty, staff, residents, visitors, and others in and around Marymount's Palos Verdes Drive East campus.

Additionally, I have found that no one has offered to debate me on safety issues related to having students living on the campus of Marymount College even though I created that challenge many months ago.

While I also agree that the particular measure was designed specifically for one single private entity and if approved, would subject our city to having less oversight, a specially created district not having to follow many codes and requirements every other resident or business is required to follow, and loss of abilities to control greater noise, traffic, and events in a largely residential area, I understand that these concerns provide many the need to oppose the measure on those grounds.

There are also concerns that should Marymount receive approval to build dorms on their campus, they may contractually remove themselves from many liabilities while receiving the construction of the dorms at no cost to the College AND then receiving payments from an entity that Marymount may contract with for the construction, maintenance, and running of the on-campus housing.

There are also residents who strongly believe Marymount could gain rights they now do not have to rent, lease, or in other ways, provide companies, even profit-making companies access to Marymount's plant and premises for, as yet, undisclosed events.

Some of the events considered by some residents as being in the future, should measure P pass are concerts, sporting events, summer camps, and other occasions where noise, traffic, crowds, and other factors could pose a greater problems for local residents, law enforcement, fire and medical responders, and others due to the location of the College and the strategic requirements of keeping Palos Verdes Drive East open and drivable.

www.saverpv.com needs your input. www.saverpv.com needs your volunteerism. www.saverpv.com needs your donations of money, time, efforts, a piece of your yard, and more if we are going to halt Marymount's attempt to get revenue generating housing where it is unsafe and simply does not belong.

Please visit www.saverpv.com.

If and when I find other sites opposing "P" I will write about them, too.

And now for my usual disclaimer:

I fully support The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project approved for implementation by the Rancho Palos Verdes City Council and I oppose Measure P and The Marymount Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment