Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Field of Candidates is Set...........Perhaps!

According to one source, today was the last day to take out nominating papers for the three seats up for election to our City Council on November 8.

http://www.palosverdes.com/rpv/general-election.cfm

Above is the link listing eight names and Email addresses of those who submitted nominating papers by today's date.

Most of the eight names should be familiar to you by now, but a few names I heard that would be included as candidates do not appear on the list, on Friday.

You should know the following candidates:
Ms. Susan Brooks
Ms. Dora de la Rosa
Mr. Ken Dyda
Mr. David Emenhiser
Mr. Jim Knight

You all may know Mr. Eric Alegria and Mr. Jerry Duhovic better than I do.

Just today, Ms. Cynthia Smith was listed as having submitted her information. I do not know her either but I am pleased there are those who we may not know who are interested enough to enter the field of candidates.

There are two very prominent names that were not listed and as I have been traveling and out of our great city for several weeks, I haven't been informing myself the way I probably should have.

Word was provided a few week ago that Ms. Barbara Ferraro and Mr. Don Reeves would also be candidates.

Perhaps one of both of them have not completed the necessary paperwork or collected the required signatures yet. Their names may appear on the list at some time or they may not actually be running for any of the three seats available.

I have one candidate's sign up and as you might expect, it is for Mr. Dave Emenhiser. I am still quite open about the two other candidates I will support.

While away, my considerations have been going on dealing with the two other candidates I will support. I do have leanings at this point as I have some candidates I would lean against.

We may still be a somewhat 'lazy' time, except for campaign donation collections. This may be the time before the 'real' campaigning begins when candidates arm their war chests with funds to do battle after Labor Day and on until November 8.

Several candidates already have war chests other candidates can only envy. I do not subscribe to the idea that just because a candidate may have collected the most campaign money, they would be the best choice for election to the Council.

I hope is voters find that war chests are being enlarged by contributions by large companies or companies that directly do business with our city, they will look very hard at whether the funds collected would have 'notes' attached to the checks.

It will also be a good thing for all war chests to see funds coming in from all types of political thought and from every area of our city and lots of different people and businesses. I have provided checks to several candidates so far, and I will probably contribute to most, if not all of the candidates. I don't have much to offer them, because I am retired and my income is quite fixed at the moment.

The more differing views about all the issues by all of the candidates can only help voters decide who can best represent them on our City Council.

Let's remember to inform ALL of the candidates and ALL of their supporters that this blog is a good place to rant and rave with both positive and negative comments, but keeping negative comments here and not out on the streets serves the discussions and open and honest debates better.

1 comment:

  1. I have been informed of several things regarding this post.

    First, I have been informed that Ms. Barbara Ferraro and Mr. Don Reeves are no longer running for seats on our City Council.

    I have from two different sources that Ms. Smith works with Marymount College and was able to take out nomination papers and return them completed within 24 hours.

    One of my sources for that information stated "very interesting" in their reply.

    I will not condemn Ms. Smith's candidacy at this point just because she may be an employee at Marymount College.

    In fact, if Ms. Smith comes out strongly against on-campus housing at Marymount's P.V. Drive East campus and strongly for Marymount's furthering activities in downtown San Pedro, I think that would be a real plus.

    On Marymount's Web site you can learn about two 'new' facilities located in downtown San Pedro including an 'administrative' and 'classroom' facility named the Waterfront Campus. It is located in the 200 block of West 6Th Street.

    Marymount's "Marylyn and Chuck Klaus Center for the Arts" is located at 430 W. 6Th Street in San Pedro. The Center for the Arts is located almost directly accross the street from the historic Warner Grand Theatre where Marymount has and will continue to provide performances of many types.

    Mark Wells

    ReplyDelete