Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bits and Pieces 36

I have been gone and will continue to be gone for a little longer, but I have kept my eyes open about some things happening in our city.

So it seems we now have our ninth candidate for one of the three seats up for election this November. Mr. Don Reeves has taken out papers to run.

Mr. Reeves has been and may possibly continue to be affiliated with and supported by Palos Verdes Peninsula Watch and that has and would continue to be a real problem for me and I hope you, too.

Mr. Reeves is not making his first attempt at gaining a Council seat, but I think he garnered more votes than the two I supported in the last Council race.

What is up with our City Manager?

I don't care if you are a far right wing (wrong wing) believer or someone on the far left like I am, I hope we can all agree that our citizens and tax payers have a duty and right to know what our staff is being paid and how they receive their benefits.

Our City Manager works for ALL of us and she was contracted to work for ALL of us by OUR City Council.

If I want to know what staff members are being paid from taxpayer funds, it is my legal right to demand that the information be produced.

I do not believe any pay is being received or benefits offered that are illegal, but I think I and others would like the opportunity to see where our tax dollars are going.

For me let's say, if a staff member saves vacation time and turns it in for a cash settlement that is within the law, I like that a lot! It means that the staff worker has provided more days of service to our city and then can go out and spend money, hopefully in Rancho Palos Verdes OR to use a healthy dose of funds to go out and make large purchases.

Wouldn't it be grand if a staff member turned in vacation time for money and then went out and bought things built by Americans? I'd love to see that money going to support local businesses, especially in these terrible economic days.

If money goes to investments in American businesses and products, that is good too, I feel.

What I don't want to see is hiding of information that our residents have a legal right to know.

What I will not stand for, nor should you, if having a City Manager that believe she feels SHE is the governing person or the one who make determinations that go against our right to know or our abilities to comment on issues.

I guess most of you probably have a good idea that I oppose most of the financial opinions being held by Mayor Pro Tem Anthony Misetich and Councilman Brian Campbell.

I think these latest 'conservative' economic tactics and dealings have led our country down a very steep and rocky road and I think that can also be said it can apply to local issues as well as State and National issues.

IF someone states that all taxes are bad taxes, please consider the source and kindly suggest to them that if they truly believe that, you can show them a map to where they should move to in Somalia or South Sudan where there is no need for taxes because government simply doesn't exist.

I side with those who consider that our city has a need to maintain its own sewer systems and if a fee or tax is necessary, it is something I feel we need to study carefully, get the best bang for our buck and if truly needed, create a relevant fee or tax.

While in Fiji and while watching a special episode of "Dirtiest Jobs" the hose spent the hour dealing with our Nation's infrastructure. The overall grade given to our Nation's infrastructure on all levels and types, is currently a "D".

There is a history in our city of City Councils having unwillingness to tackle infrastructure issues within our city.

So, now we have that our Storm Drain Levy that will continue to hound many residents, but not all, for some time to come.

Our city had to shell out a ton of money on one canyon drainage fiasco and the ever larger San Ramon Canyon issues MUST be tackles as soon as possible.

When we fail to educate ourselves about infrastructure issues and put blinders on because of the costs of repairs today, everything will surely get worse and much costlier, down the road.

Except that in one particular case, should our City Council fail in its duty to get San Ramon Canyon fixed sooner, the later could mean there will be no switchback to get down the road on.

I have heard of other rumblings and grumblings while out and about and I need to be back at home for a spell to educate myself more about some other things I am hearing, before I comment.

I know I still have lots and lots of self-education as to the positions of the candidates for City Council have at this time.

I fear the number of who can be described as 'conservative' candidates rattles me a bit. But that doesn't mean I would not vote for one or even two of them. I still have two seats to vote for and I am seeing nothing but more positive things about my first choice of Mr. Dave Emenhiser, coming out all the time.

When Dave is being supported by the two most conservative members of our City Council and he continues to have ideas I like, that should say something to everyone.

Next door to us is San Pedro. Their L.A. City Council member got herself elected to the House of Representatives. So, I think there are as many as 14 candidates vying for Ms. Hahn's former seat on L.A.s Council.

We get to have opinions on those candidates just as San Pedrans already have tauted their support for candidates in our election.

What I feel is important to know about Rudy Svornich, one of the candidates for the 15th is that he was a paid lobbyist for Bob Bisno's Ponte Vista. All over development on the 61.53 acre site directly across the street from homes in R.P.V. is a bad thing for all of us and all our 'close' friends in northwest San Pedro.

Yes, Rudy's firm has been hired to work on campaigns of some of our city's candidates and yes, even great candidate Dave seems to be using Rudy's firm in his campaign.

Using a firm is one thing. Having the lobbying firm's head as a candidate and possible decision maker for the city of Los Angeles is something very different.

I don't feel anyone should have a paid lobbyist voted into office to 'represent' them because I bet that lobbyist would be more beholden to whoever is working with his firm than to the residents who are having that person as 'their' representative.

If you want a 'conservative' to fill Janice's remaining term, why not give a look at Joe B.?

Joe is currently with the L.A.P.D. and as a San Pedro boy and former lead officer for that community, he just might be the best candidate for those who like his politics. He is a great guy and a wonderful family man who loves San Pedro.

I may weigh in more about which candidate my type of political thinking would like to see winning the seat. But that can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment