Friday, August 26, 2011

Opening Up To Those Offended By Me

This is the 374th post on this blog.

Back in June, 2010 I wrote a post titled "Admitting My Dirt Before Others Do". It was a acknowledgement of my life up to that date, my history in the community, and many of what folks might think are bad.

I wrote that piece because I wanted to head off those who would with to attack me using their own version of my life and my history.

One thing I challenge anyone to find in my posts is hypocrisy. I hate it and I try my best to keep me from being called a hypocrite, even though some people will still call me that, it is just not true.

I also challenge anyone to call me out for non-factual claims or misstatement of facts done so deliberately. Since the first post on this blog, if I have made any errors of fact and have learned the actual truth, I will edit my blog and acknowledge when I got something wrong.

The coming election has already gotten ugly and mean. I will not challenge anyone who might claim that I can also be considered a part of that. I will write what I know is true, what I feel is real and what my opinions suggest to me.

More folks seem to want to know my background and beliefs. My background is posted on that old post from June, 2010.

Folks can attack my opinions, but I am an honest person as far as facts go.

Correct me if I am factually wrong, but understand that when I see or find misstatements of facts or quotes attributed to persons I then find are not living and talking according to their quotes and I will respond, sometimes harshly.

I am not a fiscal conservative when it comes to infrastructure repair or maintaining the best quality of life for residents and business people in our city. I believe our city has a strong financial foundation that does not require needless meddling.

The new Council makeup will be more fiscally conservative than the current Council's voting records. We have to go back to a time before Larry Clark's tenure to find Councils that were not willing to spend enough dollars on infrastructure matters and other matters that might have meant a new fee or tax increase was needed.

I am somewhat fearful that this will happen again. With the current hollering about 'no new taxes', 'no tax increases' and 'get government off our backs' I fear there are those residents in our city that will use that to stifle even discussions into important matters. That could cost us plenty more in the future if we are not courageous enough to tackle some problems in the near term.

San Ramon Canyon must be permanently fixed! All talk of simply placing a temporary earthen wall or dam in the area where the side wall is collapsing is insane, in my opinion.

I fear that the 'emergency' repairs will be done and then either nothing more will be done or the giant mound of dirt thing will be used.

Our city owns some of the sewer systems in our city and those systems need maintenance. I am now fearful that a more fiscally conservative Council will listen only to those who decry government to a point and are absolutely unwilling to even consider talking about the potential of the creation of a fee or tax based sewer maintenance program.

The cost to borrow money is at its lowest rate in decades and it will remain that way until about 2013, according to some analysts.

This means that if we need to borrow money, we should not wait until rates climb back up and our city is stuck paying higher costs for money.

I do applaud and support Ms. Susan Brooks' thinking about other cities on The Hill helping out with the costs to constantly repair the slide portion of Palos Verdes Drive South. I have always wondered why our city is required to fund the repairs when residents and guests of folks and businesses in other cities use the roadway, but pay nothing for the continual repairs.

I hope to find that the candidates' debate scheduled for September 7 at P.V.I.C., beginning at 7:00 PM will have an overflow audience. I also hope it is televised on our city's CCTV channel.

I will also do my best to attend the debate offered by Marymount College for hosting purposes.

I am still unsure whether that debate can or will take place on Marymount's campus and I have problems with Dr. Brophy's quote in a newspaper about how the college will not get involved in this election, even though college funds will be used to hold the event on campus.

Ugliness is growing, concerning the Marymount debate. I'm going to bring my video camera to both debates as a way to document what goes on and if there is unfairness occurring at either or both events.

While I still have no confirmation at to the employment status of candidate Ms. Cynthia Smith, I can confirm that the address listed for candidate Mr. Eric Alegria changed ownership on March 17, 2011, for whatever that is worth to readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment