Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Opinions About Mr. Jerry Duhovic

*NOTE*
I am revising this post a small bit after I had some more conversations with Mr. Jerry Duhovic.

It is now time for me to opine on the candidacy of Mr. Jerry Duhovic to become one of the three new members of the Rancho Palos Verdes City Council.

I am a progressive and Jerry is too conservative in many of his views for me to endorse or vote for him.

O.K., got that out, off my chest and formerly revealed. But wait, there's more.

Jerry is a good guy. He grew up in Eastview and I have written that we need more candidates and Council members who have greater experiences living on the east side and especially in the Eastview area.

Jerry Duhovic and I are both veterans of The United States Air Force. He was an officer and I rose to the rank of a 'non-com'.

So far, the only new yard sign I have seen on my block, other then the two I have, is one for Jerry Duhovic on the corner of Trudie Drive and Highmore Avenue, in a yard.

I had about a one-hour talk with Jerry Duhovic and I can tell you he is an honest fellow who loves his family and demonstrates a real devotion to R.P.V.

I do have some strong issues that Jerry and I respectfully disagree on. I do realize however, that as a progressive, I 'swim' against a majority of the political opinions of residents of our city.

Jerry told me that he does not necessarily object to having student housing built on the main campus of Marymount College.

I didn't go into a whole bunch of reasons why I find that opinion, not in the best interests of the majority of residents of our city, I feel.

Jerry and I both strongly agree and concur that Marymount's attempts with Measure P to give itself almost unlimited rights and powers of its property, without necessarily adhering to Conditional Use Permits, some municipal ordinances and many guidelines residents and businesses in our city must follow, isn't going to happen should he become a member of the Council. We both are very much together on that point.

I am adding here, on Saturday Sept. 24 that Jerry and I both are in complete accord as far as opposing the very unusual 'requirements' by Marymount's officials that seek to provide Marymount's official and land owners of the main campus site, far greater rights and authorities than any other business owner or land owner, and ever resident have over their land.

The most questionable issue I have with Jerry is his comments related to the considerations of taking at least some of the T.O.T. revenue and 'giving' it to taxpayers in some form or another.

To me, that is first and foremost, a gift to the wealthiest residents of our city, using revenue generated for the benefit of all residents and giving some it out to those who have some of the largest incomes in our city.

I felt a wisp of "TEA Party" in some of Jerry's words and I must admit it is my opion and scares me.

Also added on September 24 is this:
Many individuals really thought and felt that the T.O.T. revenues generated from Terranea were going to be placed into funding streams designated more toward infrastructure support and maintenance than has actually occurred.

This view was also express to me by Mayor Dyda, who is also running for a seat on the Council.

After discussions were held and many residents debated how the T.O.T. funds would be allocated, it was decided that the funds would go into the city's General Funds and not necessarily provided for special funding towards infrastructure needs.

It is my opinion that Jerry's thoughts and Ken Dyda's thoughts were reasonable even though their positions were not adopted, at that time.

For me, whether the T.O.T. is used for in our General Fund or used to deal with infrastructure issues, I continue to strongly feel that no monies from the T.O.T. be used to 'lower' taxes.

It is very much appreciated by me that Jerry views the lasting repair of the San Ramon Canyon issues as his top concern. That really must be the top concern of all of the candidates, I believe.

It is well understood by those who follow the current Council votes and dealings that the new Council will be more politically conservative than the current Council majority is.

On the first Tuesday in December, we will watch the Council move to at least a three to two majority of more politically conservative members and there is not any doubt among Council watchers that they will be, at least, the case.

It is my opinion that the balance is best with a three to two scenario and it looks more and more like Ms. Susan Brooks has the best chance currently, of being the third vote.

In an earlier post, I wrote that I feel now current of former elected person should sit on the new Council makeup, so that is why I can not endorse Ms. Brooks, Ms. Dora de la Rosa or Mr. Ken Dyda, although if Ken takes a seat, I'm not going to even think of getting displeased.

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I support and endorse the candidacies of Mr. Dave Emenhiser and Mr. Jim Knight.

For me, the best outcome of this election would be to welcome Dave and Jim onto the Council and let the chips fall where they may for the fifth member.

Mr. Jerry Duhovic is still a great young man. He is intelligent and caring and he is friendly even with those he disagrees with.

There may come a time when I could opine more favorably on his candidacy for a Council seat, but that day won't come before this November.

It is wonderful that the electorate has seven candidates to choose from. It demonstrates a level of service to others that many cities don't see. A neighbor city decided no cancel their Council election because no new candidates were willing to enter the race. How sad is that?

This post should wrap up my initial posts about the seven 'active' candidates for the three seats coming open in this election cycle.

I am still trying to learn more than nothing about Ms. Cynthia Smith and whether she is still a candidate. If you have any information, please write a comment or Email me at mrichards2@hotmail.com

I have absolutely nothing to write in any negative way about Ms. Smith because I only have confirmation of what the ballot will state as her occupation and that is not negative, it's just a fact.

When I spoke at the Council meeting on Tuesday evening, I forgot to ask that the next two debates by the candidates, happening at Hesse Park on October 5 and October 12, be televised.

The packed room on September 7 and the requests for more information about that event means that more folks than expected are taking a real look at the candidates in this election and that is what democracy and the rights to learn and vote are all about.

I have also given permission to Councilman Campbell that should he consider it wise, he can have the video I recorded on September 7 placed on the city's Web site and/or the city's television channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment