Monday, September 12, 2011

My Third Vote Goes To/More Pondering About Three Candidates

First off, I have made monetary campaign contributions to Mr. Dave Emenhiser and Mr. Jim Knight, the two candidates for City Council seats I have announced endorsements for.

I have also contributed a similar contribution to the campaign of Mayor Ken Dyda.

It has been my view for some time that since this is "an historic election", as stated by numerous persons within our city, I wish to keep that thought and process continuing.

I may not agree with the positions and votes on our Council given by Mayor Pro Tem Anthony Misetich and/or Councilman Brian Campbell, but I will defend their 'veteran' status and continue to be offended by those who question these two fine gentlemen as to their ability to be the leaders and guides when the three new Council members take their seats.

I feel if this really is going to be an historic election where a great deal of change will take place, I am comfortable to find that change include three new members who have not held elective office before.

Mayor Ken Dyda and Mayor Susan Brooks have served our residents from better than very well to true greatness as our city was born and nurtured.

In similar fashion I feel, Board President Dora de la Rosa has served the students, parents, employees, staff, and others in her capacities dealing with schools on the peninsula.

I have been working through the concepts and issues that could or might occur in some residents' minds, Not Mayor Dyda, Mayor Brooks or President de la Rosa, that Anthony Misetich and Brian Campbell's two year tenure on our Council is second best to the service provided by and potentially offered by the three former or current elected officials.

Anthony Misetich and Brian Campbell may very well seek counsel from anyone and everyone, but even the notion of hearing anyone on the council state, 'well, when I was so and so, we did it this way or that way', would be terrible, in my opinion.

Mayor Pro Tem Misetich and Councilman Campbell were the two top vote receivers in our last Council election and they 'beat' a large field of very qualified candidates, whether I liked that outcome or not. They have both proven themselves to me to be worthy of being real veterans on our Council.

All that being written, I also must write the following:

Former Mayor Ken Dyda and former Mayor Susan Brooks have years of experience of service to our residents, businesses, and others and they both offer unique qualities.

I happen to agree with much of what Ken Dyda considers to be essential to our city, its residents and businesses. Of course he would serve us again in the highest of standards, with integrity and intelligence.

I think as a Council member and having the tenure of many types of experiences, training and teaching, former Mayor Susan Brooks would also help to move our city forward.

If the PVPUSD School Board has considered the service and experiences of Board President Dora de la Rosa to be worthy of electing her to serve as it President for half of the time she has been on the Board, that says quite a lot about her, in many positive ways.

However, if we are truly going to have "an historic election", it is my feeling that our Council should begin anew with the 'veterans' that have gone through fires and turmoil in these very tough times and welcome three new members who have not been provided the chance, honor and high privilege given by voters in our city to represent them, as Rancho Palos Verdes City Council members.

Over the last several years, there have been calls to 'get rid' of everyone in Congress and/or in Sacramento, so things can start over or get fixed.

This November, we have a real opportunity to thank and honor those who have served us in elected office by showing them that their desire to serve so very well, has rubbed off onto others who will take a great legacy forward.

This post offers my primary reason for me being unable to announce a full endorsement for Mayor Ken Dyda, Mayor Susan Brooks or Board President de la Rosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment