Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Only In "Eastview"

On Saturday, I talked with a friend of mine who also lives in the 'Eastview' section of Rancho Palos Verdes.

I can't remember the exact wording she and I spoke, but it went something like this:

Me: So, you are you going to vote for on Council?

Her: I can't vote, I was told I lived in a 'geographically undesirable location'.

Me: Your not going to vote in November?

Her: I want to vote for Gordon Teuber, but I can't!

Me: Wait just a minute. I gotcha!
Of course you can vote. You can vote for three new members on our Council.

Her: Oh, that's right.

Me: There 'you people' go again, not thinking that you don't live in San Pedro, you live in RPV.

Her: You're right, Mark. I keep forgetting.

Me: You get three votes in our election. So, who are you going to vote for in November?

Her: I don't even know who's running.

Me: You know, you really need to keep your heart in San Pedro, but you live in RPV and that is where your government is. You've got to get your head in RPV.

Her: You're right, again.

Folks, this is not atypical for many who have lived for decades in the Eastview area and it once again points out that even though folks may be interested in who their Council members are, far too many 'Eastviewers' still think the Councilman or Councilwoman goes to L.A. City Hall to have meetings.

It might also be true for those now-adults who grew up in Eastview. That is not the case with Mr. Jerry Duhovic though and I applaud him for that.

The majority of those living in eastern RPV in the Miraleste area have long known and appreciated where their city government is and who their city representatives are. They became part of RPV long before the Eastview area was annexed into our city.

But one would think and hope that since it has been decades since the vote for annexation took place, a higher percentage of Eastview residents should know who their Council members are and where they meet, don't you think.

I informed "Her" who the candidates are and who I support and have endorsed. She is on the correct side of reasoning (Left) and she appreciated my recommendations and alerts.

Maybe by the time Mr. Eric Alegria has enough 'RPV cred' and experiences within committees or Commissions in our city to make a much better candidate for OUR Council, most Eastview voters will know more about where their government resides and who truly represents them.

Perhaps then, in 6-8 years, Eric Alegria can be the top-vote-getter in our Council election.



1 comment: