Saturday, September 18, 2010

Education During A Neighborhood Yard Sale

In the Rolling Hills Riviera area of the Eastview section of Rancho Palos Verdes, over 40 families participated in a neighborhood yard sale.

I was able to talk to several dozen residents of R.P.V. and I provided some education about Measure P, received some very good educational information, and had the opportunity to share comments about Measure P.

None of the residents who have "Yes on P" yard signs participated in the yard sales. I also did not speak to anyone I suspect supports Measure P. I did request "No" votes from everyone I talked to but I was courteous to those who didn't want to talk more about The Marymount Plan.

Here are some of the things I learned from folks I talked to an provided answers to some questions.

I had a fairly long talk with a member of the Los Angeles County Fire Department and I learned some things I didn't know until today that is factual and should be revealed.

The primary response Fire Company of Los Angeles County that responds to Marymount College and other addresses in that neighborhood is Fire Station 106, located near the shopping center in Rolling Hills Estates.

The Firefighter explained that that Engine, Truck, Paramedic Squad station gets to Marymount a tiny bit quicker than units from Station 83 and 53 because they go through the gates along Eastfield and Crest in the city of Rolling Hills, coming out at the top of Crest Road by the domes at the top of San Pedro Hill.

Station 83, located near the corner of Miraleste Drive and P.V. Drive East has a Paramedic Firefighter on their 'Assessment' Fire Engine. The Station also houses a four-wheel drive Patrol Truck I am sure many of you have seen.

Station 53 is located on Palos Verdes Drive South and I don't know what they have beyond one Fire Engine.

I learned from one local resident that he would be voting "No" on Measure P because The Marymount Plan does contain language that, as part of traffic mitigation, would require a new signal and associated items at the intersection of Miraleste Drive and Palos Verdes Drive East.

The gentleman said any measure that contained anything supporting a signal at that intersection would not get his vote.

Now, because I must be factual and remain credible, something I wish would be found 100% of the time with Marymount's campaign, I did inform the gentleman along with other that the exact same traffic mitigation plan has been approved in The Marymount College Facilities Expansion Project.

The Rolling Hills Riviera area is also home to Dodson Intermediate School, an LAUSD facility. It also contains homes across Western Avenue from the Ponte Vista at San Pedro site and all manner of traffic issues seem extremely important to most of the residents I talked with.

I found the morning a perfect chance to listen and learn by having so many neighbors outside their homes and visiting other yards.

I just might be a good idea between now and November 2 to have as many neighborhoods as possible in R.P.V. have neighborhood yard sales.

I am now extremely confident if other neighborhoods had more of their residents outside talking, learning, educating, and letting us all know their feelings about Measure P, The Marymount Plan, we just might not have to worry so much that is has any chance of passage.

Please vote "No" on Measure P.

No comments:

Post a Comment