Thursday, September 23, 2010

Today, New Facts, No Personal Attacks From Me, And More!

Well, did you enjoy reading the names of those listed as supporting Measure P, The Marymount Plan in today's Palos Verdes Peninsula News?

Here's a fact- not an attack- on one person listed as a supporter.

Background- I served as one of the Rancho Palos Verdes representatives on L.A. Councilwoman Janice Hahn' Community Advisory Committee for Ponte Vista at San Pedro.

I resigned from that position after accepting a membership on the Rancho Palos Verdes Traffic Commission. However, I attended every single meeting of the Advisory Committee even though I was no longer a member of it in its last two months of active duties.

During Committee meetings, members of the public were welcome to provide comments and we didn't hold to many time limits like our City Council meetings have.

Now here is the fact; Ms. Linda D' Ambrosi, a resident of Rancho Palos Verdes provided comments during at least one meeting. At one of the meetings Ms. D'Ambrosi stated:
"Bob Bisno is going to save San Pedro!"

I believe that some might take my account of a factual event as an attack on a supporter of Measure P. That would be wrong. I am simply using this as an example as to how some might take facts and charge them as being attacks.
-------------------------------------------------------------
In Ms. Ashley Ratcliff's article aslo in the same edition as the two page advertisement, she wrote about Mr. Steve Kuykendall's opinions about Measure P, The Marymount Plan being a partisan issue.

So, let me provide you with some facts, Mr. Kuykendall and others.

I am one of the most far to the left progressives in Rancho Palos Verdes.

I have never voted for a Republican candidate in a partisan vote and I probably never will.

I stand shoulder to shoulder, toe to toe with some of the most conservative Republicans on The Hill in opposition to Measure P, The Marymount Plan.

No, Mr. Kuykendall and others, Measure P is not a Republican or a Democratic vote, it is a vote by the residents of Rancho Palos Verdes, no matter what political party they support or oppose.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder how many folks named in the ad today are truly residents of Rancho Palos Verdes?

What might it say when a business has to spend money providing today, a two page advertisement for a measure that will only benefit that business?

What impact might opposition to Measure P have when the Yes on P campaign has to spend so much money attempting to attract more support?
--------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't see the names of the two former Mayors of Rancho Palos Verdes that support Measure P on the full page ad ("partial listing") of supporters.

I doubt two prominent members of the community would be left off the list unless they no longer lived in Rancho Palos Verdes or they have future aspirations for elected office in Rancho Palos Verdes.

I was also wondering if the list contains most of the names of residents or non residents who have no plans on running for elective office in Rancho Palos Verdes.

*Note* I have already stated in at least one previous post that I do not consider myself qualified for any elected office in Rancho Palos Verdes.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Also in today's paper were more than one 'real' letters to the editor from opponents of Measure P, The Marymount Plan.

There was another letter from a person that seem pleased about an upcoming vote but I could not tell if that person was pleased about the residents' vote on Measure P or the vote for the City becoming a Charter City, next year.

I think the person might have written about the November 2 Special Election, but he didn't cite any particular measure or proposition.
-------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that both the Measure P folks and the opposition folks listed folks on lists that really did not like having their names on lists they didn't want to be on.

Both sides claimed these were innocent errors. I hope both sides begin using a followup call to every person they want on their respective lists before they add them.

If a name of an opponent appears on Page 9 of today's paper, do you think the Measure P campaign would spend money on a retraction ad? I highly doubt it.

I hope both sides ask for and receive approval for names to be posted in advertisements.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Just one more fact before the end of this posting:

Bob Bisno is NOT going to save San Pedro!

1 comment:

  1. As a followup to the list of supporters published in today's Palos Verdes Peninsula News, a source of mine did some counting and found it listed 354 "supporters".

    The source claimed that 114 of those named do not live in the areas closest to the College's campus.

    The source also strongly believes that 16 of the individuals named don't even live in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes.

    I am not going to take time to varify the numbers my source stated and I disagree somewhat with my source's added comments.

    I believe every R.P.V. resident listed as a supporter lives in the "affected area" of Measure P because the Special Election was called for all voters of the city to participate in.

    Should Measure P pass, there could be other areas of our city that could become local affected areas by other developers. It is a city-wide measure affecting our city-wide area.

    As for the "16" supporters who my source claims don't live in the voting area, listing them might provide evidence that 16 more deceptions are being fostered into the debate.

    I absolutely support candidates and measures in areas I cannot vote in, but I have not authorized anyone to list my name as a supporter of something I can't vote on. I think that would be unethical and I hope you do too.

    Another point here. Every single dime spent by those seeking support of Measure P, The Marymount Plan, by paying staff, paying for ads, paying for mailers and so forth, is being matched to even the penny with and by folks opposed to Measure P, The Marymount Plan, who are doing all they are doing without making, or earning even one penny.

    Opponents are more than matching Marymount's dollars with action that is not compensated with money.

    Every time a new mailer comes out, every time a newspaper ad is published, every time something new comes up on The Marymount Plan's Web site, somebody is getting paid do take those actions.
    This is something that has not been done by the opponents of Measure P, to the very best of my knowledge.

    So go ahead Marymount Plan supporters, spend away. The more you spend, the greater effect the opposition to Measure P, The Marymount Plan gets, without spending money.

    Mark Wells
    aka M Richards

    ReplyDelete