Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Freedom of Political Speech

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution allows Marymount representatives to produce what they have produced in the way of advertisements, statements, written and verbal information.

It also allows you and I to do the same thing and also in the manner, form, and content we have seen with much coming from Marymount College.

So, keeping that in mind I now offer that all my comments regarding Measure P, The Marymount Plan, and everything that can be considered political should be taken as protected political speech.

That written, I will continue avoiding practices used by members of the "Marymount Community" and I will offer only the truth, facts, opinionated assertions backed by evidence, and opinions that can be considered protected.

We all have seen televison advertisements, mailers, fliers, and written comments supporting Measure P, The Marymount Plan that have been found by a court of law to be false and misleading.

We have all been offered a glimpse into two lawsuits where a judged ruled on matters related to political speech. In both cases Marymount's positions were ruled against.

In conversations with some other opponents of The Marymount Plan and Measure P, it is acknowledged that Marymount's vast cache of funds for legal issues might mean some of us will be facing lawsuits on or after November 2, 2010 and possibly prior to that as has been proven.

It is protected political speech to mention that when voters go to the polls they have the right to view addresses and if members of the public view registration records stating that people are registered to vote using the physical address of Marymount College, that just might be an offense that could be prosecuted.

Likewise, challenges of voter registrations could come forward should knowledgeable persons view registered voter addresses that show a higher number of voters registered to addresses than the number of actual residents at that address.

One of the trick Marymount might try, because of their continuing political dealings in ads, statements, and actions, is to have Marymount students registering to vote who actually live at the Palos Verdes North and Pacific Heights off-campus housing areas, both in the San Pedro area of the city of Los Angeles.

If is conceivable that some students not factually residing in the city of Rancho Palos Verds may actually register to vote using a known Measure P supporter's address or even possibly and ignorantly, using the physical address of Marymount College.

My beliefs are based on statements made by Marymount officials and the continuing distribution of material that is obviously false and misleading when judged against the whole truth and documented history.

So as Marymount's representative play 'fast and loose' with what they believe is the truth and use the First Amendment as their defense, I shall continue to use the real truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth and I will also reveal more deceptive items as they appear.

My altering of any mailer presented to my mailbox that is unsolicited is a protected right because there is no copyright stamped on the mailer.

Any photos I use on this blog, found on the Internet and when available, credited to a photographer is protected. I will smudge the faces of some people I feel are 'innocent' and I have already smudged the face of young Miss Cappello on a particular photo I have on file.

I have tried to keep comments of a religious nature regarding Marymount College, Measure P, and the Marymount Plan at a minimum even though I am protected by the First Amendment.

I don't think a person not belonging to the religion of a religious institution like Marymount College really should participate in attacking that organization using religious grounds, as much as possible.

When I heard Councilman Campbell's comments about Marymount being a Catholic College, those comments came from a practicing Catholic and I have no problem with that.

For the record, I am an ordained minister and I happen to have a Doctorate of Divinity. I try to keep my religion and faith in that religion out of these issues and that is why I continue to try and avoid negative comments about the religion affiliated with Marymount and most other religions.

It is time to call out and offer information about Mr. Burt M. Arnold and Mr. Alexander Cappello who are the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Marymount College Board of Trustees.

But I will do that on another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment